The Nigerian Engineers cosplay!!!!! They can already silence a room, turn an asshole into a gentleman, and now I found out they are gamers that cosplay!! I just found a reason to goto Comicpalooza!
1. 1970 - The Fifth Dimension’s “Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In” is named Record of the Year at the Grammys.
2. 1968 - Soul singer Otis Redding posthumously receives a gold record for the single “The Dock of the Bay.” Redding was killed in a plane crash three months ago.
3. 1959 - Lorraine Hansberry’s play “A Raisin in the Sun” opens on Broadway.
4. 1959 - “Raisin in the Sun,” first Broadway play by a Black woman, opened at Barrymore Theater with Sidney Poitier and Claudia McNeil in the starring roles. Lorraine Hansberry’s drama was the first Broadway play with a Black director, Lloyd Richards, in the modern era.
5. 1959 - On this day, Lorraine Hansberry’s ‘A Raisin in the Sun’ opened at the Ethel Barrymore Theater in New York City with Sidney Poitier and Claudia McNeil in the lead roles. The play ran for 530 performances, becoming the longest running Broadway play written by an African-American. This was also the first Broadway dra…
6. 1959 - Flip Wilson Honored
Comedian and television star Flip Wilson received the International Broadcasting Man of the Year Award. Flip Wilson was the first Afro-American to be a television superstar.
7. 1956 - Segregation Denounced in public schools
Through 12th Manifesto denouncing Supreme Cout ruling on segregation in public schools issued by one hundred Southern senators and representatives.
8. 1950 - Bobby McFerrin, born
9. 1948 - Dr. Reginald Weir becomes the first black player to compete in the U.S. Indoor Lawn Tennis Association Championship.
10. 1926 - Rev. Ralph David Abernathy born
The Rev. Ralph David Abernathy, aide to the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., and Southern Christian Leadership Conference figure, was born in Linden, Alabama.
Enrollment of the First Students – 1878
The Board of Directors purchased the lands of the Alta Vista Plantation (1388 acres), from Mrs. Helen Marr Kirby, the widow of the late Col. Jared Ellison Kirby, for the establishment of the State Agriculture & Mechanical College of Texas for Colored Youth. The College was named “Alta Vista Agriculture & Mechanical College for Colored Youth”. The A&M Board of Directors was authorized to appoint a President of A&M College and Alta Vista College with an assigned principal station at Alta Vista to administer the college’s day to day affairs. Confederate President Jefferson Davis recommended Mr. Thomas S. Gathright of Mississippi, also from Mississippi and he brought Mr. L.W. Minor, of Mississippi to serve as Principal. Eight young African American men, the first of their race to enroll in a state-supported college in Texas, began their studies on March 11, 1878.
GuyMoments-The Married Life
Read it over.
Let those words resonate in your mind."
— Nayyirah Waheed (via diveinme)
wow…just wow. so she took a picture of a little kid who was minding her own business and then felt the overwhelming need to post this on her Facebook page?
Cimeno: “This little girl is wearing a shirt that says ‘black girls rock’. First of all, sorry Hun but mommy lied to you & secondly if I was wearing a shirt that said something like the truth “white girls rock” I would be stared at and called a racist cracker”
like just how low of a piece of excrement do you have to be to go out of your way to pick on a child who was not even bothering you?
Please Note: Caitlin Cimeno is a young woman…around 20yrs old. all of the people in the photo mocking Trayvon Martin’s murder are young. We delude ourselves by perpetuating the meme that a racist is always some stereotypical “old White guy”
Caitlin Cimeno and Julianne Hough (25yrs old) prove that White men do not have that market cornered (yes, Julianne Hough too—I’m not here for that racism apologist, “well once you overlook their racist behaviors basically they’re an otherwise good person" BS—just because a White person is good to other White people does not make them a defacto “good person”)
Halloween (and “funny” things like Trayvon Martin’s murder) just gives them a flimsy excuse to let their inner racist show
People make me fucking sick….
White women come get yo cousins.